Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Breakfast Burrito

I've been doing this lately, when I wake up too late for a light breakfast but early enough to make brunch. It's really easy and good. This serves one because I wake up alone.

COMPONENTS:

  • a tortilla
  • Sweet Potato Hash Browns
  • Tofu Scramble
  • Black Beans

before you do anything, heat the tortilla on a big pan for like a minute. This will make the tortilla nice and pliant and a little crispy. That sounds contradictory, but it makes perfect sense--we call that a "paradox."

Sweet Potato Hash Browns

INGREDIENTS:

  • vegetable oil
  • a sweet potato, grated
  • choice of vegetables, diced (I do onions and red peppers, but you could probably just not even do any if you wanted)
  • a dash of cumin
  • salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Fry the sweet potato in the oil over medium heat. You could use the same big pan from the tortilla. Just make sure the shreds are all spread out. Leave it frying for a few minutes.
  2. Dice up the vegetables, if you didn't already. Stir the sweet potatos and let them fry for a few more minutes.
  3. When the sweet potato looks like it's starting to soften up, throw in the vegetables, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir periodically until it looks done, probably about 10 minutes. DURING THIS TIME...

Tofu Scramble

INGREDIENTS:

  • half a block of extra-firm tofu
  • vegetable oil
  • a clove of garlic
  • choice of vegetables, chopped (I do onions and either carrots or spinach. You'll probably want to use at least one vegetable in this, or at least I would.)
  • a pinch of thyme
  • a dash of turmeric
  • salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Press the tofu to remove excess moisture.
  2. Crush the clove of garlic and fry it in the oil in a big pan or wok over medium heat. Leave the skin on the garlic--that keeps it from burning, and then you just take the whole thing out at the very end (I learned this from a cooking show I saw at Raya's house).
  3. Throw in the vegetables and fry them until, for example, the onions are starting to carmelize, if you're using onions--until they should look like they'll be done soon.
  4. Smash the tofu and stir it vigorously into the vegetables.
  5. Add the thyme, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for just a few more minutes. ALSO DURING THIS TIME...

Black Beans

INGREDIENTS:

  • about half a can of black beans

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Just cook some black beans in a pot.

TO ASSEMBLE:

  1. Put the sweet potatoes, black beans, and tofu scramble into the tortilla (I do it in that order because I find it the least messy). Make sure not to overstuff.
  2. Fold two opposite ends of the tortilla into the middle.
  3. Holding those ends in, roll another end over the stuff, to the opposite edge of the stuff.
  4. Fold everything, as is, on top of the remaining end. The burrito should be finished. Put some guacamole or salsa or something on it. Delicious.

I find it particularly therapeutic to cook myself a big breakfast. Big dinner and even big lunch has more of a stress factor because it feels like the day is going to end and be totally over if I don't finish this meal in time, but when I cook breakfast I feel centered. I feel like anything is possible today, so I might as well start by making myself some delicious food. I recommend this to anyone who doesn't have to get out of bed and immediately hurry to work or something.

I really need a job though.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

awesome, thank you! i am jealous of your brunching, as there is zero opportunity for such a thing for me right now.

Steve Subrizi said...

I feel very lucky when I brunch, yes. I hope you get to eat brunch soon.