Sunday, January 25, 2009

my "Fuck Chicago" mix

I will admit that it's unfair of me to say, "Fuck Chicago," but my bias--based on the week I spent there to play The Green Mill with Sam--is so great that I reserve the right to make a mix and call it that. I could explain to you what happened in Chicago and why I feel this way, but I think the songs--well, they're more interesting. There are also some poems about it here.

*

FUCK CHICAGO

1. "I Don't Want to Get Over You"-- The Magnetic Fields

I guess I should take Prozac, right? / And just smile all night / at somebody new


2. "The Denial Twist" -- The White Stripes

So now you're left denying the truth / and it's hidden in the wisdom in the back of your tooth, you need to / spit it out in a telephone booth while you call everyone that you know / and ask them, "Where do you think she goes?"


3. "It's All Over" -- Willie Nile

It's all over / It's all over / It's all over / It's all over / It's all over / It's all over / It's all over now


4. "Favorite" -- Neko Case

Oh lie, I thought you were golden / I thought you were wise / Caught you returning to a house you caught fire / But I know that I was your favorite / and I said Amen


5. "Everything I Try To Do, Nothing Seems To Turn Out Right" -- The Decemberists

[The title pretty much says it.]


6. "Seymour Stein" -- Belle & Sebastian

Promises of fame, promises of fortune / L.A. to New York, San Fransisco back to Boston / Has he ever seen Dundee? / Won't he hire a limousine? / Seymour, send her back to me


7. "Just Like Honey" -- The Jesus & Mary Chain

I'll be your plastic toy


8. "Nobody's Fault But My Own" -- Beck

Treated you like a rusty blade / a throwaway from an open grave / Cut you loose from a chain gang and let you go


9. "I'm Free Now" -- Morphine

I've got guilt, I've got fear, I've got regret / I'm just a panic-stricken waste, I'm such a jerk / I was honest, I swear / the last thing I'd wanna do / is ever cause you pain


10. "Country Mile" -- Camera Obscura

Once again, I'll be the foolish one / thinking a blink of these lashes would make you come / Don't you worry, don't get in a state / I don't believe in true love anyway / Oh, who's been pessimistic now?


11. "Say You Miss Me" -- Wilco

I've been losing my mind / wasting my time


12. "Glory" -- Liz Phair

You are shining some glory on me


13. "Fly" -- Nick Drake

Please, give me a second grace / Please, give me a second face


14. "How Do You Think It Feels" -- Lou Reed

How do you think it feels / to feel like a wolf and foxy? / How do you think it feels / to always make love by proxy? / How do you think it feels? / And when do you think it stops?


15. "Pink Bullets" -- The Shins

When the kite lines first crossed, we tied them into knots / To finally fly apart, we had to cut them off


16. "Where You've Been Hiding" -- Architecture In Helsinki

I wrote you a letter in capital letters saying all that I care for / all that I care for is / where you've been hiding


17. "Imagination (Is A Powerful Deceiver)" -- Elvis Costello

I see a look of recognition, so well hidden in your eye / and your game show regulations, they just don't seem to apply


18. "Who's Your Girlfriend" -- Adam Green

People like me should not have a phone


19. "2:45 A.M." -- Elliott Smith

I'm going out like a baby / a naive unsatisfiable baby


20. "It Wasn't Me" -- Jenny Lewis with The Watson Twins

I'll use a pop song to clear my name / Beneath the bridges of fame it's always nighttime / I'll end with a closer and say goodnight


21. "Every Little Bit Hurts (Live)" -- The Spencer Davis Group

Come back to me / Darling, you'll see / I can give you all the things that you wanted me for / if you will stay with me


22. "Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod?" -- The Mountain Goats

And alone in my room / I am the last of a lost civilization / and I vanish into the dark / and rise above my station


23. "Boxers" -- Morrissey

Losing in front of your hometown / the crowd calls your name / They love you all the same

*

When your last-track pick-me-up is a song by Morrissey, I guess you're in kind of a Place, huh? Well, so it goes.

8 comments:

Chad Parenteau said...

Hey, Steve!

Ryan Travis in Salem hosts the Witch City Poetry series and wants to feature the two of you. Lemme know who he should contact.

Raya Bean said...

Some of my favorite songs are on here. Want to go see the Mountain Goats at Somerville Theatre? They are coming!

Jess said...

"I'm Free Now" and "The Denial Twist" have both made it onto "fuck this" and "fuck that" mixes.
I like that you included select lyrics.

Jess said...

i also just realized I put "Pink Bullets" on my recent playlist.
the inside of my brain sounds like that a lot.

Steve Subrizi said...

I'm sorry that the inside of your brain (also) sounds like "Pink Bullets"--that's one wistful sound.

I'll probably keep posting mixes. This one was particularly cathartic, but in general I feel like it could be a thing.

C Rudz said...

Steve. I wanted you to like Chicago so much. I'm sorry you had to make a fuck Chicago mix.

Steve Subrizi said...

Oh, I wanted to like it too, but I did have to make this, Carrie. You understand.

That said, I am willing to give that city the second chance that she wouldn't give me.

Raya Bean said...

make new memories