I was lucky in that my friends and I had gone to a farm on Saturday, and I had pumpkin butter and apples leftover from that. Plus, when I was at Trader Joe's last week, I decided to buy arugula to show my support for Barack Obama.
So here's all I did:
- I made a tofu salad out of:
- extra-firm tofu
- an onion
- a McIntosh apple
- a little salt and pepper
- I toasted some Canadian white bread
- I put the tofu salad on a slice of toast
- I put arugula on top of the tofu salad. (Note: Locally Known has some crazy-good arugula this season.)
- I spread delicious pumpkin butter on the other slice of toast
- I ate that sandwich and memories of Autumns past flashed before my eyes. Like I was in Grandma's yard in Pomona New York playing in a big pile of leaves with my brother and sister and hot cocoa was waiting for us inside but we just weren't done frolicking yet, I mean seriously this was that good.
Good pumpkin butter tastes like the inside of a pumpkin pie but less whippy. It's just mashed-up pumpkin and spices, plus maybe some lemon juice. Maybe we could just socialize pumpkin butter, so that everybody could have some. I think that would be a step in the right direction for this country.
Sorry. I didn't mean to get political. Good Sandwiches '08. Crap. Sorry.