Tuesday, December 23, 2008

This is why I keep going to open mics that aren't at Cantab on Wednesdays.

Tonight, I went up to The Space in Hamden. Tuesdays is their open mic night, and when I used to spend more time in Connecticut it was one of my main hangouts. I only saw some of the people I had hoped to see--Steve Rogers, Rob Messore, and a bunch of the other staffers and regulars were M.I.A.--but I did see one open mic-er who made the trip completely worth it.

She had to be younger than 13. Her name was Elizabeth (Browning? I think? I wanted to get her last name, but I didn't know how to do it without looking creepy). She did two songs on the piano, which she played minimally but proficiently. Her melodies were natural, elegant, and catchy, which would have been impressive enough, but her lyrics were the really striking part.

The two lines I can remember were "I'll need my boots to walk in the rain" and "I am into your war." She actually made me wish I had brought more seriously good songs. I just did my Batman song and "Fossilized Love Letter" and walked away feeling somewhat inadequate but happy that at least I was bested by extremely fresh and young talent.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hey Steve!
It's Elizabeth from open mic. I think you've pretty much made my year with your entry! Much gratitude! And your songs were lots of fun!
Here's my myspace if you want to check it out: http://home.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user

Steve Subrizi said...

Hey Elizabeth! I'm glad I made your year. This myspace link isn't working for me. What's the URL under your profile picture and stuff? If you've got songs on there, I'll post the link.