Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Latkes

Okay, I just made latkes. I mixed up:

- 8 potatoes, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1 tsp baking powder

They fried up nicely, but the cornstarch made them too gummy, so I called my Grandma for advice. After a little back-and-forth about how I don't eat eggs anymore, she suggested I add a little oil into the mix, and if that didn't work, put in a drop of milk.

The oil did the trick, but I tried some soymilk too for the last couple of batches just to see what that did. It all worked out pretty well.

When I made latkes with my friend Raya last Saturday, we used egg replacer instead of cornstarch, which worked perfectly, but I wanted to show my parents that vegan cooking didn't necessarily require a bunch of weird stuff you wouldn't ever have to buy otherwise.

We also used three tablespoons of flour instead of the matzo meal. I just used matzo meal this time because we happened to have some lying around (this happens most often when you are Jewish).

We also used chives instead of onions, and that was really good. Have them with applesauce. Hell yes.

Happy holidays, everybody.

No comments: