Monday, December 22, 2008

Brownies

I made these brownies for a party on Friday, which was supposed to be pretty big but due to the weather turned out to be just four guys getting drunk and playing Rock Band (it turns out that you don't have to sing the right lyrics in order to get a high score--knowing this makes Rock Band a lot more fun. This also applies to regular karaoke).

Basically, I was out of soy butter and wanted to make something, so I found this recipe and changed it up to be more of a culinary risk. The risk paid off. Try making this for a party this season, if you're going to one.


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (trust me, they won't be spicy, just delicious)
  • 3 tablespoons applesauce
    (for texture and moisture--more makes them breadier, less makes them gooier. It can be left out.)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • some chopped walnuts (if you want)

Directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 350.
  2. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Stir in the moist ingredients (and the walnuts if you decided to use them).
  4. Pour the batter into a baking pan and bake it for about half an hour. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.


Not to be a dick, but why are brownies ever non-vegan? This is just easier and I think cheaper. Eggs are messy. I am legitimately asking this question, so someone please make these brownies and then tell me why eggs are better to use so that I can experiment and make a vegan alternative.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Yeah, it's some weird thing about how eggs make the brownies set better blah, blah, blah. I think it's just as good, though, when you use applesauce or mashed banana. Sometimes I use this egg-replacer stuff Chris bought at Whole Foods. It's powder you mix with water, and it works really well, but it's kinda weird.

Steve Subrizi said...

Oh, egg replacer. Yeah, I have that stuff back at home. I'm making latkes for the family while I'm in CT, and I almost brought the box with me, but I decided I didn't want them to think that being vegan meant always buying these weird synthetic things, so I did some research and it turns out you can use cornstarch. I'll post a recipe if it turns out good/interesting enough.

Maxwell said...

dude, I had homemade applesauce with latkes last night. Fucking sweet, man.

Steve Subrizi said...

Latkes and applesauce? Shit yes, latkes and applesauce.