Wednesday, December 3, 2008

1. Meeting Consumer Needs (Sendability)

At Hallmark, one of our goals is to provide a variety of products that meet a variety of consumer needs. Greeting cards, for example, provide a range of suitable messages for occasions ranging from celebrating the birth of a child to mourning the death of a grandparent. [...]

First, consider this consumer need: A single woman wants to send a card to her 32-year-old friend from church whose husband has just died tragically.

Next, write a brief evaluation of each of the following six sentiments’ sendability for this situation.

Finally, choose the one you consider most appropriate for the situation above. Or, if none of them seem quite right, create a sentiment of your own.

Sentiment 1:

Saying “we’re so sorry”
seems insignificant
in the face of your loss.

Please know we’re keeping you close
in thought and prayer.

[...]


Sentiment 6:

This bright young life
was a light in the world…
a candle of hope,
warmth, and laughter.
This bright young life
has departed too soon
but will shine in our hearts
ever after.


Sentiment 7:

When I try to imagine what you’re going through,
I imagine us going on a long camping trip,
and we start climbing on trees,
and then you fall off of your tree
and land with your right leg in a bear trap.

I know that I don’t know what you’re going through,
but I think I know why you climbed that tree—
we tend to spend so long on the ground,
and up there you can stop and really look around,
though now you must feel like you’re minus one knee.

If a husband is what I have come to understand,
your tree’s apple, your hole’s poultice,
you’ll have some trouble standing up now,
and I would love to be your crutch,

but I know that if your husband was your leg
then surely I am closer to a fingernail,
and so I urge you to pick me
if you feel that urge,
and know that urges come

not from extremities, but from the heart,
and when you feel it beating,
you are your heart,
and when you breathe,
you are your lungs,
and though breathing and heartbeats are boring things,
you need them both if you want to go camping.

And if now is the long, disastrous camping trip
of your life, then let us find you a seat—
you could probably use a seat.
We’ll find you a bench.
Sometimes life is a picnic,
and this morning you stood
at the kitchen counter.
I watched you make us sandwiches.

No comments: